Monday, October 13, 2008

Born into Brothels

I've thought Kids with Cameras were not relevant to my project of creating a curriculum in Solomon Islands; however, as I was researching what a good education was, I could not help but to keep relating the key points to Born Into Brothels.
Their simple activity of carrying the camera and taking picture was the active learning.
Kids not only learned how to use camera by physically doing it, they were actively engaged. free to explore and document their interest and surroundings.
Next step why it was a great learning experiment was because it had potential implication, it gave them purpose of why they were taking the picture: to share it with others, to show in the gallery.
At last, it was done in a group form. They had peers to share their learning and experience....

I underestimated the happy accident, education process. Because it all started with the director's simple desire to document and understand the Brothels, without a real plan of education, I didn't see it at the beginning. There is not greater success than BEING there, understanding the need in hand, and solving the situation on the spot.

No comments: